Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Planning for Fall

Cub Scout camp was last week and this week I have a boy at Boy Scout camp and a girl at EFY. My husband was at scout camp for half of this week, too. Half of our family was missing! I just had my two little boys! They got along extremely well and played together all the day long with hardly a fuss. They get to go to some fun places this week like seeing a preview of The Last Airbender at the movies, go play at the park, go play with friends, go to Terra Studios, and go to a Primary activity. For 2 days we had a living room full of army men, Galactic Heros, games, and two 100 piece puzzles...which my 7 year old did complete! Fun times.

Meanwhile, I'm already planning for fall. I'm going to teach science at our homeschool co-op this fall. Not because I'm a great scientist or even really like the subject, but because my kids need a meaty science class and I'm teaching it so I know they get the material! I know...it's a little control freakish. If I do it in a class setting, it will also get done and we can't procrastinate like we do other stuff at home sometimes. Yep. I said it. We procrastinate. Like on the botany we were supposed to keep up with the last few weeks! When my older two get home from their camps we will pick up on some of it in July.

One science class I'm doing is based on Apologia's Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day. In ten weeks, we are going to go skimming through the whole book. I'm having students notebook and keep portfolios of what we do in class. This will be for ages 9-11.

The other class I am co-teaching with a friend. It is based on Apologia's General Science text. Students will also keep a notebook, have homework, tests, and keep a portfolio. We will only go through a portion of the book in 10 weeks. The class is for ages 12 and older.

At home, we will continue with Story of the World, volume 3. We should finish this by Christmas and start volume 4 in January.

As for next week....well....we're going camping!

2 comments:

  1. I'm stopping by to invite you over to the Arkansas Women Bloggers site. We'd love to have you link up with us. We're also always looking for guest posters if you're interested.

    http://arkansaswomenbloggers.blogspot.com

    Cheers,
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing Swimming Creatures with my girls, too! Would you mind if I put Mandy in your class? She is 12... Looking forward to classes!:) Lori

    ReplyDelete