Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Herbalism - The Study of Herbal Medicine

I have had the opportunity to take a North American Herbalism class at our homeschool co-op this spring. This has served as a catalyst for me studying all manner of herbs both medicinally and culinary. The world of plants is fascinating. Plant signatures have held me captivated for the last few weeks. It is like Heavenly Father has left us clues in the form of plant signatures so that we can know how to use the beautiful creation of plants on this earthly home.

Over the weekend, I had some brave girlfriends accompany me to Mountain View, Arkansas. While there, we attended a field trip and workshop focusing on medicinal herbs, as well as wild edibles put on by the Ozark Folk Center. It was amazing and eye opening. The weeds that 75% of Americans try to eradicate from their lovely lawns are actually FOOD. Wonderful, nutritious food in the form of greens and blossoms.

On Friday, we were taken by shuttle bus to the scrumptious bakery, Serenity Farms Bread, outside of Leslie, Arkansas. They had all sorts of sour dough breads and pastries. I had biscotti, a chocolate eclair, and an almond croissant to nibble on during our trip. They also had several organic food choices including cheeses, drinks, and other snacks.



We went down to the little Red River flowing nearby to check out the plant life. We found wild carrots and other edibles. Our guides were very knowledgeable.

Next, we went to the Buffalo River, which is a national river here in Arkansas. The river was very high, so we didn't get down too close, but walked in the lower woodland along it's banks. We found ground ivy, elderberry, garlic mustard, violets, river cane, and other valuable plants growing there in the understory.

The little ground ivy plant can stop bleeding while used as an astringent or poultice. In a pinch, you can chew it up and spit it on a wound or mash it up and spit on it and apply it to wounds.



After lunch, we checked out Tyler Bend Visitor Center in the Buffalo River National Park. We drove down the road from there a bit and hiked down a trail passing by the old Collier homestead.



At the end of the trail, we were rewarded with a spectacular view of the Buffalo River from on high.



It was a beautiful spring day! Good for the soul.




After the hike, we went back to the Ozark Folk Center to gather herbs from the gardens for our lunch the next day.

Dandelions, chickweed, dock, sorrel, wild carrots, Jerusalem artichoke, corn salad, wild onion, wild garlic, and wild violets can be delicious additions on one's diet in the spring time. Believe me, I've eaten them all!

The knowledgeable ladies who put on this workshop at the Ozark Folk Center were fabulous. Susan Belsinger and Tina Marie Wilcox brewed some delicious, savory Wild & Domestic Greens and Bean Soup, as well as a yummy salad with wild greens and homemade buttermilk and vinaigrette dressings - with herbs, of course. Karyn, from Bean Mountain Farms, introduced us to the gorgeous world of herbal breads, butters, honeys, vinegars, and drinks. We enjoyed a spectacular lunch on Saturday prepared using their recipes. It was truly delicious.

Tina and Susan have co-written a book called The Creative Herbal Home, which is great. Susan also wrote a book called Not Just Desserts, Sweet Herbal Recipes that I have enjoyed this week. They also have written articles for the Herb Companion magazine. Coincidentally I subscribed to it last month! I'm looking forward to reading more from them.

I'm also looking forward to catching a plant sale put on by Bean Mountain Farms. They grow organic herbs here in Arkansas. They will be having a couple of plant sales at Ozark Natural Foods on April 10 and May 8 this year. www.herbalsimplicity.com

Ground ivy, plantain, yarrow, jewelweed, and mullein are good medicinal herbs that grow locally, as well. I now know how to positively identify them in the field. I also know how to use them, which will prove valuable in the future. I can make salves and tinctures now, thanks to my herbalism teacher, Michelle! I can also make poultices and astringents.

The quaint town of Mountain View was lovely. I would like to go back and spend a couple of days exploring that area, as well as the Buffalo River area, some more. The Ozark Folk Center was also a gem I would like to take my family back to when it is open for visitors. It was sad to leave, but I'll definitely be going back!

Now for a nice cup of herbal tea...

5 comments:

  1. Hey There! I'm just poppin in to say WOW! I found your blog listed on the Arkansas bloggers blog. I just signed in there as #174. Misty. I was checking out random blogs and found that you (possibly) have a son named Canyon??? (the pine wood derby car picture!) I do too! He is 11. And read in past posts you have a teen daughter, India. I have a daughter 14, Sahara. Well, I just thought that was pretty darn neat! Enjoy your Spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I h ave been interested in herbs and plants for medicinal and eating purposes myself. Wow! You are even in my neck of the woods! I'll have to check out some of these places. Thanks for posting about it. I found you through a link posted on Latter-day homeschooling.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Misty - what a coincidence! I haven't met another Canyon in all of Canyon's life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, where are you located? Are you in Springdale or Rogers Stake?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nevermind, Dana - I think we've emailed back and forth before :)

    ReplyDelete